Coconut chutneys are also from South India and it is a very famous chutney variety and almost in all hotels, it is served as a side dish for dosa, idli, etc. The chutneys served in hotel will be fully white in color. For this, the brown part of the coconut is not used while grating it. I will soon put up a recipe for hotel style chutney.
So, this is one easy chutney recipe for a busy morning or evening because there is no need to peel or fry anything . Do you have some grated coconut in the refrigerator? Then fatafat! Your morning side dish is ready. Something that is even more wonderful is that there are many different varieties of coconut chutney and you need not eat the same variety daily! Sounds easy as well as tasty right?
I would always have some grated coconut in the refrigerator. So, whenever I am lazy to cook in the morning, I would always make coconut chutneys only. It is easy, also tasty!
You can have it as a side dish for dosa, idli, upma, kichdi and many more. In my recipe I have tempered the chutney but it can also be had without tempering it. Yes, the taste does differ but it can be had without tempering it too.
Ok, so I have no story behind this and I don’t know what more to write for a chutney recipe. So, I will wind up my blah blah blah here and lets move on to the recipe. Do try it and let me know. Enjoy cooking and eating!
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1 tbsp roasted chana dal or pottukadalai
- salt, as required
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- a pinch hing
- Assemble all ingredients required for grinding the chutney.
- Transfer everything to a mixer grinder, add required salt and grind it to a smooth paste adding little water.
- Transfer the contents to a bowl.
- In a tadka pan add oil and when it turns hot, add mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard pops, add curry leaves and hing and give it a mix.
- Pour the tadka on the chutney bowl and mix it thoroughly.
- Serve hot with dosa, idli, upma, etc,.
- Add green chillies as per taste. I added two medium sized chillies.
- While tempering, do not burn the mustard seeds. If it burns, then it will give a very bitter taste.
- Add all the tempering ingredients quickly and transfer it immediately onto the chutney.
- You can also add a one or two red chillies while tempering.