Egg kalakki is a famous street side food in Coimbatore. The egg is usually beaten along with some spices and is half cooked.
I have never tried a kalakki as I am not a big fan of half cooked egg dishes. My husband, on the other hand, loves all these half cooked egg dishes so much. I think this passed on to him through my father-in-law. My mother-in-law used to tell me that my father-in-law used to love half boils and that he used to eat it as a meal itself. So, I guess “Like father, like son!”
My husband is a greattt fan of this dish since his college days. Once, before our marriage he had it in a restaurant and it was only then that I knew such a dish even “existed”. Now that I started to prepare this dish at home, he asks me for double kalakkis and at times triple too… and he enjoys eating it that I can see his love for the dish in his face reaction.
There are two ways in which this can be made- either as plain kalakki or as masala kalakki. We can make masala kalakkis using leftover salna. Check out my chicken salna recipe for a great dinner and also for a next day egg kalakki. Anyways, either way, it is a great dish (reviewed by my husband). I will tell the method for both in the instructions section. Do try the recipe and let me know if this is your favorite too! Happy cooking and eating!
- 1 whole egg
- a pinch of red chili powder
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- a pinch of pepper powder
- a pinch of salt,
- 2 tbsp plain salna/ kurma, for masala kalakki
- 1 tsp oil
- Prepare all the ingredients required for the kalakki.
- Break the egg into a bowl and add all the spices to it.
- Beat the egg along with the spices.
- Heat a iron tawa. When it is hot, apply oil and pour the beaten egg.For masala kalakki, pour the salna in the middle as shown in the picture. For plain kalakki, avoid the salna and move to the next step.
- Immediately fold the egg from all sides forming a pocket as shown in the picture.
- Serve hot.
- I’ve added the leftover gravy of chicken salna. You can add any coconut based gravy, but a non-veg gravy would make the dish taste even better.
- The tawa should be super hot to make the kalakki.
- Fold all sides immediately.
- You should work really fast to make the kalakki making sure that the inside is still uncooked while the outside is cooked.
- Once folded, move it to a plate immediately to stop it from cooking any further.